Re: Some 164L questions

"J. Greg Williams" <totally@domain.elided> writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I just purchased a '91 164L w/70K miles, unfortunately it seems to have a problem burning oil that I
> was not aware of when I bought it.  First off let me state that it is beautiful and I have
> absolutely no buyers remorse.  Now, I've read some of the posts on the digest and understand that
> Alfa's can burn a lot of oil compared to other cars but mine seems to be a bit excessive (2 quarts
> every 4 or 5 days of driving to work).

This seems excessive and I think it's time for further tests.
The shop should be able to do compression tests...
500 miles / quart is often considered a limit of acceptable oil
consumption. My milano was burning 1 qt every 500 miles and it
had a broken ring and worn valve guides.
- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm