Re: Need info on a Fiat Dino

The Fiat Dino came to be as a result of FIA rules.  Ferrari wanted to
build a new V6 powerplant to run in F2 competition.  The FIA said it had
to come from a production car.  The rule for production cars said that a
minimum of 500 cars had to be produced in a year to qualify.  Ferrari
went to Fiat because he needed the capacity.  There are also Ferrari
Dinos that basically became the archetype for the whole 308 series and
its successors.  The Fiat Dinos may fetch a slightly lower price than
the Ferrari ones, but you can expect to pay Ferrari prices for all parts
and service.  Actually, the coupes tend to come cheaper than the
Spiders.  That's just the market.  I would have the car checked out by
someone who knows these cars well.  A Ferrari dealer would probably be
appropriate.  There are subtle differences in engine size, power, and
trim from year to year.  These questions come up on the italian-cars
digest from time to time.  Personally, I'd rather have the F2 racer. ;=)