Re: Ways to fix a '66 GTV dash

In digest #111 Rich Hirsh Asks about fixing his early GTV dash.

I had a similar problem with my old GTV.  I couldn't stand that ugly fake wood
anyway so I was determined to create a wrinkled grey finish like that of a GTA
or early Sprint GT.

Here is the procedure I followed:

1.  I dissasembled the dash completely.  This included removing all of the
stainless trim that borders the dash.  I found that this wash riveted to the
dash faced material so I drilled out every single rivet.  Don't remove the
rings that hold the insterments in place.  These are very difficult to put
back in place properly.

2.  I carefully removed every trace of the fake wood contact paper (very
tedious!).

3.  The resulting dash face is made out of a very light weight cardboard type
of material.  You will end up with some pock marks where the contact paper
pulled some of the dash surface during the removal process.

4.  I simply took this cardboard face to a local body shop and had them fill
the pock marks with fiberglass "bondo" and sand smooth.  Finally, they painted
the face with a wrinkle finish grey paint (matched to my grey sample) that
contained a flex agent. The cost was about $70 (ten years ago).

5.  I putting the dash trim back in place I used small nuts and bolts obtained
from my local hardware store.

6.  The end result looked terrific and still does today.

I know it's not original but I do prefer it.

David Alexander
Riverside, IL