RE: ad-lib color choices

> In AD7-090 Mark Jones wrote " When I sold Alfas 10 years ago, we had a few
> cars come into the dealership in colors other than those published as
> available.  A dark red-brown metallic Milano comes to mind, it
> showed up in a
> color available for Spiders.  An unusual green metallic for the
> last new GTV6
> we saw in 86 was really cool, another non-alfa color as I recall.
>  I simply
> thought the guys at the factory just tried new colors out on a
> few cars and
> just sent them out the door to be sold with the rest.  Why should
> we think the
> guys in Arese should be logical and rigidly consistent?"
>
> I'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek Mark Jones may have been, but
> new cars coming
> in in non-Alfa colors? I have my doubts on that and on the last
> two sentences-
> the guys at the factory just ad-libbing new colors, and why would
> we expect
> them to be logical? It may fit the stereotype of creative artisans in a
> cottage industry, but the workers at the factory didn't make such
> whimsical
> decisions about color any more than they did about which engine
> to put in a
> particular car.

i think mark mentioned a milano coming in a spider color.  perhaps the other
references to 'non-alfa' might have meant 'different alfa model'?

i saw a real nice looking late '74 gtv at the concours italiano this year,
in a pearl blue color, or something like that.  i insulted the owner by
asking if the color was original on that car (i've *never* seen a gtv in
that color).  i was told that it was an alfetta color, which i recognized
immediately, and that they had evidently tried it on a few of the last gtv's
to come to the usa.

so, a spider color on a milano?  i'm not surprised.  metallic green was a
spider color also, no?  i'm pretty sure i've seen it on bosch spiders, no
surprise to see a gtv6 of the same vintage use the same color.

bs