0V (zero) volts

I'm trouble shooting my HVAC computer and the shop manual (CarDisk) has
many steps called "Ground check" that requires that I test for zero volts
at different points.  I'm not sure I know what that means.  Does it mean
I should:

1. check for a good ground with my continuity tester.

2. check that when I put the black probe of my volt meter to ground and the
red one a the point to be tested that I do not have any voltage (ie. it
reads about 0).

Any ideas?

Lawrence Hegarty            lah@domain.elided         Montreal, Quebec
1991 164S