Re: 164 vibration

In a message dated 9/9/98 5:15:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<  Above this speed it's as smooth as glass. It seems worse
 when the tires are cold. The tires are new (AVSi) and just balanced. It
 happened on the old tires too (AVSi). On-car balancing didn't help then. >>

This is the most bizarre automotive phenomenon I've ever experienced.  I've
had the
same problem with three different sets of rims and three different sets of
tires.
I've replaced bushing and  rotors as well and the problem still exists.  The
strange
thing is that it's not always present.  If the car is parked overnight in a
cool garage
it is almost sure to vibrate on the way to work in the morning.  Drive it home
after a day parked in a hot parking lot and it probably won't.  When
attempting
to have the wheels stroboscopically balanced on the car the mechanic said the
wheels were moving all over the place.  When removed from the car and placed
on the balancer they were fine.  I wish someone would figure this one out!

Bob Boniface

84 GTV6 (Pretty Hate Machine)
91 164L 5 spd
60 Giulietta Spider