Re: Alfetta Starting Problem

In a message dated 9/10/98 5:50:54 AM Central Daylight Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> Instead of the normal cranking when the
>  key is turned, I'm getting a "whirring" noise from
>  the starter(??)  It seems as though something is
>  "spinning" but the engine is not turning.

I would suspect the starter bendix spring located on the flywheel end of the
starter.  The starter is turning but not being transferred to the flywheel to
turn the engine.  These get flaky like this when they are getting ready to
fail all together.

Jerry in Houston