Alfetta Starting Problem

Does anyone have any insight into the following
problem I'm having with my 1976 Alfetta?

Over the past few days when I've gone to start the
car, it seems as though the starter is not fully
engaging.  Instead of the normal cranking when the
key is turned, I'm getting a "whirring" noise from
the starter(??)  It seems as though something is
"spinning" but the engine is not turning.

If I try it again, sometimes it will crank
normally and start, other times it will keep doing
the same thing.  It seems to be happening more
frequently each day that I use the car.  Today, it
took ten cranks of the ignition before the car
would start.

I've checked and cleaned all the connections to
the starter, and the battery seems strong.

Is my starter on it's last leg or am I the victim
of some other electrical gremlins?

Any insight or past similar experiance would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
E-mail:  brio@domain.elided