Re: Alfetta Starting Problem

>> Instead of the normal cranking when the
>>  key is turned, I'm getting a "whirring" noise from
>>  the starter(??)  It seems as though something is
>>  "spinning" but the engine is not turning.

>I would suspect the starter bendix spring located on the flywheel end of
the
>starter.  The starter is turning but not being transferred to the flywheel
>turn the engine.  These get flaky like this when they are getting ready to
>fail all together.

This is a common problem in something like a Ford pickup that uses a bendix
engage where the starter gear is driven outward on an inner helical gear as
the starter motor begins to turn.

But the Alfa starter uses an integral solenoid which engages the starter
gear with a pivot fork while at the same time engaging the contactors which
complete the starter power circuit. So (as I understand it) the starter
motor shouldn't even turn until the solenoid is fully retracted at which
point the starter gear should be fully extended engaging the flywheel ring
gear.

In other words - I can't see what would cause this to happen other than a
loose or broken engage fork in which case you'd think it would never engage.
But that's not the case here so I'd be interested in hearing the solution
when it's found.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project