Re: bonnet design rationale options

John Hertzman opines:

>The supposed-to-be "inexpensive" cars- bottom-of-the-line production cars,
>anyhow- with "inset hoods" completely surrounded by sheet-metal which Alfa
>built included the 1900 Berlina, Giulietta Berlina, 1750 and 2000 Berlinas,
>and first series Alfetta Berlinas. At a more 'luxe" level the ironblock 2000
>Berlina and 2600 Berlina did the same. The very cheapest of these, (in intent,
>at least) the Fiat-fighting Giulietta Berlina, had leaded joints, which I
>believe are not that fiendish and expensive in production.

Well, it looks like I got on the wrong side of a J. Hertzman juggernaut!

John, I can't back up my assertion that the step nose was done for economic
reasons. It's just one of those common knowledge (dare I say paradigm) items
that everyone "just knows." It probaby came from conversations with similarly
ill-informed club members over the years. It's one of those things that
one never thinks to question.

However, now that it's been pointed out to me that it was done on purpose,
I have to shake my head in amazement. I guess Gorgio isn't infallible after
all. The stepnose detail has always looked to me like a cheap afterthought
(perhaps a consequence of my thinking of it as a production shortcut). Sort
of like those radio and clock cutout plugs that used to festoon the dashes
of low-end models that screamed "Cheapskate!"

There I go dating myself again...

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |