Electronic Ignition on '69 GTV

Hello:

My 1969 GTV stalled yesterday afternoon without warning while driving at
about 30mph.  Attempts to restart where unsuccessful although the engine
cranked well and fuel was being delivered to the combustion chambers.  I
pulled the spark plugs, they were the most disgusting set of plugs I
have ever seen and they were only about 6 months old - they where fouled
but also had caked ash & sooth.  They were Bosch Platinums. Anyway, I
installed a new set of Bosch Platinums but was still unable to start the
car, so I checked for spark and there was none.  This car has an
electronic ignition device by Motorola, I attempted to trace a red wire
from it (in hope it had a break) and followed the wire to the ignition
key.  For whatever reason, I tried to start the car again and it fired!
I drove it to a nearby shop for help diagnosing the problem and they
suggested it might be the Motorola unit. As I was about to leave the
shop, the car stalled again so I popped the hood, wacked the electronic
ignition module with the handle of a screwdriver, tried starting the car
and it fired.  I drove home 20 minutes away.

Does this sound like it is indeed the electronic ignition device?  Might
it be a loose wire inside?  Can they be taken apart and repaired or am I
better off getting one from IAP or someone else?

- -Frank (Cape Cod, MA)