Stirring trouble !

In Digest 71, re which year GTV was the most desirable, Les wrote:

From: Les Singh <Les.Singh@domain.elided>
Subject: Subject: RE: stirring trouble ..
This is really subjective, for example some people who appear
outwardly quite sane, seem to really like the Alfa--- , although I
personally would paint every one of those bright
McLaren-orange, so the garbage men couldn't miss them on their
collection round. Many of us feel that that particular car heralded
the beginning of what someone else on this digest has called the
"Dark Age" of Alfa Romeos.

No, no, surely you've got it all wrong....... it has to be the 116
Alfetta which introduced that age. I'm talking about the Alfetta
with its cheapskate pop riveting all over the place where nuts and
bolts would have been used in a proper Alfa, the Alfetta with so
much parallax in most of its instruments that they're more for
decoration than real use,  the Alfetta with as much glass as a
glasshouse but cool air vents totally inadequate for coping, the
Alfetta with its brake master cyl crudely placed directly above the
hot exh manifold for a fine cooking of the seals and fluid, the
Alfetta with the cheap and nasty undersized gearlever swivel joint
which is such a pain, the Alfetta with the flexi-firewall brake-pedal
linkage in RHD versions, the Alfetta whose handbrake design
causes heavy unsymmetrical side loading which strains the brake
discs, etc etc etc.  IMHO a beautiful car (the coupe that is), with
elegant major engineering features, but in its minor engineering
features and its production, a shoddily designed and built car with
cheapskate written all over it.  What a degeneration from the
company standards of the 105 series.  Nonetheless, these things
aside, I've still got my lovely-looking Alfetta (of over 10 years
ownership), and I wouldn't dream of ever parting with it (yep,
that's the blue one from you, Les!).

Of course, I also have a few of that Alfa--- product Les mentioned
(or, should I say, couldn't bring himself to mention..!!!..??...!!!).
Now the build quality on these is perhaps not much to write home
about I'll admit, but it's far far better than the Alfetta of the 70s.    I
used to have a 116 Giulietta too..... again, really crudely built like
the Alfetta, and in that regard a discredit to our beloved company.

Back to Les's post :

In my opinion the 1750 GTV chassis/body/trim is unbeatable. The
dash, with the instruments beautifully sculpted into it, a work of
art and undoubtedly the "best in the world" a la Brian Shorey.

Oh yes indeed, the 1750 is just so nice from any angle, and both
inside and outside. How old is the 1750 design now....... about 30
years?  And it still turns heads.   Don't think too many heads will
be turned in 30 years by a Honda/yota/ishi (even if anyone
bothers to keep one that long).

Keep stirring everyone (the Digest's a bit quiet right now) !
Graham H,
New.Zealand.
GTV, Alfetta, AlfaSUD.

End of alfa-digest V7 #72