Spider Door Panels

Hey, responding to Rodney's Spider Windows questions reminds me:

When I bought my car, the driver's side door panel was not properly mounted.  In addition to some of the plastic clips running around the perimeter, the top rear corner connector was missing.  I went to the dealer, who sold me a male part (metal pin with
a disk for a head, and a groove on the post), and a plastic female part which fits into a hole in the door and provides grip for the metal pin.

The problem is, I could never really get it in there, even with a hammer.

Then, when I took apart the passenger side door to fix the window, I noticed that it had a slightly smaller, plastic pin, instead of the metal one, and it worked beautifully;  went right in, and held the panel firmly.  No hammer required.

Well, next time I was at the dealer, I mentioned this, and asked me if he could get me one of the PLASTIC pins for the door panel.  He gave me a bewildered look, and said, "no no no, there are only these metal ones".  I think he went and looked at the
microfiche, while I explained the trouble I'd had with the metal one.  He said, "no, that's the correct part, you just have to hit it very hard".

Well, I'm unconvinced.  Who out there has taken apart the doors on their 80's spider, and what held the top rear corner in place?  Do I just need to try another dealer?

I know this is a minor problem, but I've become SO frustrated.  Please help.

Grazie mille,

Hal
'86 spider veloce "Strega"
Venice CA  (<-always a location, for Fred)