164 near 250F

danny pham <robustful@domain.elided> writes...
>Ok, just wanted to update everyone. The 91 164L has new radiator, 8
>month water pump, new temp sensor, belts that show no slippage, and a
>removed thermostat. The car runs hotter than before w/old radiator.
>Used to run 175. Now goes up to dash just left of 250 in city traffic.
>I was told by Paul Spruel Alfa to
>not worry till gauge is almost upon 250 and red light comes on! It's
>supposed to be normal to stay on the dash before 250 and not go
>beyond. Now is that the general consensus?

I replaced a bad coolant temp. sensor two months ago in my 92 164S and ever
since my gauge reads around 233F in traffic. It'll stay at around 175-195F
at highway speeds regardless of the outside air temperature or air
conditioner load. My fan, relays, water pump, thermostat, air temp. sensor
and 40 amp fuse all work properly. I power-flushed the system and checked
for clogs in the radiator and hoses. The water pump /AC belt was replaced
too. I'm going to try another coolant temperature sensor and see if the
car's really running as hot as the gauge says. Short of doing the whole Zat
upgrade, I don't know what else to try to get the needle back in the happy
zone.

Rich Lasner
Mill Valley, CA
92 164S