re: Alfa tourist

Ben Dixon is contemplating a 3-month tour around the US in a low-buck Alfa
and asks whether it would be feasible.
The tour, in my opinion, is a wonderful idea.  I've done a lot of
travelling around the US, Canada, and Mexico in cheap cars and have fond
memories.  Breakdowns only add to the adventure.

As to whether Ben could buy a suitable Alfa for his target price of $500,
I'd think it might be possible to find a whole, running Alfetta sedan or
1750/2000 Berlina for that kind of money, but probably nothing more
fashionable or recent .  Either of these sedans would be a good touring
car, with a roof for bad weather and adequate room for people, luggage,
tools, and spare parts.  But, a $500 example would probably need a good bit
of work to fix the problems that were obvious at purchase, and it would
surely need more repairs en route to fix problems that developed or came to
light later.   Another concern is that the supply of working $500 Alfas is
probably quite small, even in California, so there might not be one
available when it's needed.

Perhaps Ben could enlist the help of one of the left-coast digesters to
find him a suitable cheap Alfa before he arrives.  Or maybe someone with an
extra Alfetta in the driveway would like to rent it to Ben for $500.

If a suitable Alfa can't be found, I'd recommend an old full-size American
car; something like a Chevy Caprice, a Ford Crown Vic, or an Olds Vista
Cruiser wagon would be the perfect vehicle for an international tourist in
the West.  They're cheap, there are plenty available, and parts can be
found in every small town.  And, these cars deliver the authentic, American
experience.  Imagine cruising through the Mojave desert in a '77 Cadillac
de Ville.  OK, not as good as an Alfa, maybe, but it's the stuff of legends.

Dana Loomis