Alfa Tourist

Its becoming very likely that I will be turning up in the USA some time
early next year (March probably) for a few months of holiday.

I'd really like to buy a car and just tour around the place in it, and
it would be kind of fun (though asking for trouble!) to do it in an
Alfa.

So my question is, for those of you in the US, would it be out of the
question finding a $500 Alfa of some sort that would get me around the
country?  I am a reasonably competant mechanic - I do all my own
mechanical work on my GTV, so should be able to maintain it (within
reason).

if an alfa is out of the question, what would be a good, cheap car to
buy and tour in, with a mind to selling it again when we have finished
(probably about 3 months).  Also, what registration, insurance, etc do I
need to get and is it expensive.  Ill probably fly into the west coast
somewhere.

Oh, and are there any big Alfa gatherings happening inthe US in March -
May next year?

Thanks,

Ben
'68 1750 GTV