Re: 164 Side Mirror

Mark W. Lachniet wrote:

> The mirror/glass is cracked on my side mirror and all I need to
> replace is the actual glass/mirror itself.  The dealer stated that
> the mirror glass in not available separately.  Has anyone replace
> just the mirror glass?  How?

If you have a -90 as I have, ore perhaps earlier, you can easily remove the mirror glass by pushing a hidden black lever, counter-clockwise to release the mirror. It can be seen behind and at the bottom edge of the mirror-glass. Although there is some adhesive on the backside of the mirror it isn't to hard to pull out. I think this nice design changed later but I'm not sure when.

The mirror glass is difficult to remove from the back plate without damaging the heating wire but I managed it.

The casing is made of two halves glued or melted together but with some force it may be possible to break it apart at the joint and then glue them back together again. I have done so too.

If your mirror doesn't have this lever and you break the case apart, let us know how your mirror glass is held in place.

Hope you're helped in any way by this.

/Peter Greis
164 V6 -90
CAR Sweden