Re: motor mount 164

Bill Harkell wrote:

> Anyone know how to determine the condition of the motor mounts on 164?
> I am especially suspicious of the rear mount on the pass. side which
> mounts to the subframe behind axle, Others look "normal".

I have now learned that the symptoms of bad motor mounts is broken flex joint in the downpipe, stumbling motor, moving shift stick and shuddering from the front when accelerating. It is usually the left front motor mount and/or the upper torque rod that is broken. I was recommended to change both front and rear left mounts at the same time.

To inspect the motor mounts I recommend to put a jack under the oil sump, spread the load with a log, and lift the motor (not the car). Look for fatigue cracks or for the rubber part to rise out of the mount. Remove the left forward splash shields to have a closer look. The upper torque rod can easily be removed for inspection.

/Peter Greis
164 V6 -90
CAR Sweden