Re: motor mount 164

My passenger side motor mount is going south, and it is not pretty.  For one
thing, the handling is not as solid as usual.  You might notice a wobble or
shuddering from the passenger side (to be technical, about things)upon
breaking or acceleration.  Trust me, you will notice a difference and think
something is wrong with your suspension.  Nevertheless, look for signs of
stress (fracture) using a dentist's mirror.  If you have a nice dealer with
a lift, they might even show you (mine did).  Further, it may seem as if the
car goes over a small bump upon acceleration from a stop (that's how I
noticed something was wrong, and thought it was in the suspension).  Mine
has not done this in some time, but I have been babying the car a little
bit.

My dealer told me to drive the car in a very smooth manner.  Further, the
dealer stated that the rear mount only needed to be replaced if I was brave
and had some extra money.  Unfortunately, my dealer in upstate NY states
that these mounts have been back ordered since February.  Apparently,
several of their customers are experiencing the same problems.  I recently
moved to the Toronto area, and have starting searching for the mounts here
as well.

Perhaps this has been covered on the digest in the past few months, but if
anyone knows where to obtain these parts, I would be very thankful.  One of
my favorite things about the 164 is the handling, and it is  unnerving to
have this ruined by a part Alfa is, for some reason, not supplying in the
U.S. at this time.  I hope the situation will change before the mount fails
and results in more costly repairs.

Steve Mindy
'91 164L - 5 spd.