SPICA Starting

I have a 1970 Spider Veloce with the old type Spica pump.  Purchased
about 15 years ago.  I am probably the third owner.  Engine rebuilt once
in the late 80s.

The car was always a hard starter.  The linkage was set up precisely at
an AROCSD tech session. I replaced the thermostatic actuator with a
Shankle Sure-Start and starting improved but still took from four to
seven "cranks" to start.  Actually seemed to start better as I backed
off on the key from the "crank" position.  Someone told me once that was
because there was a slight increase in current then that was just enough
to start.

I replaced the ignition switch last year because the starter would not
release when engaged.  Thanks to Fred Di Matteo for the guidance on that
procedure.

While re-connecting the switch I noticed that the fuel pump cut off (at
28 years old it is pretty noisey but still shuts off the middle light)
when I turned the key to the "crank" position.  A light bulb went off in
the balloon over my head.  Aha.  Switching leads around until I had a
combination that kept the pump on while cranking (it also helps to have
a wiring diagram) solved the starting problem.  Now starts on initial
"crank" on about the third or fourth engine revolution.

The linkage has to be set up precisely to specs.  The "choke" feature of
the thermostat actuator must work - the Shankle Sure-Start is a manual
"choke" mechanism and is probably no longer available.  If the linkage
is set correctly you do not ever have to touch the accelerator pedal.

Any one else have a fuel pump shut off as described?

Dave Mericle
Leucadia, CA  BEACH-N-RIDES