Spica Starting

   George Pond wrote:

   Everyone with a SPICA (or Bosch) spider should know not to pump the =
gas
   pedal when trying to start the car.  This works with carbs, which =
pump
   in more gas when the accelerator is depressed, but not with fuel
   injection.

While I'm no expert on Alfa's by a long shot, I do know that depressing =
the gas pedal one compete stroke does help in starting.. Not pumping it, =
though.. I have found that the thermostatic actuator doesn't have enough =
strength to push the pump to the optimum starting mixture.  This holds =
true with a car equipped with a Shankle cold start system, the reason we =
figured it out.  When pulling on the "choke" (throttle lever) on the =
shankle equipped car, it came out about 10 m.m.'s and felt like the =
handle would break off.. While holding the handle at that position, and =
depressing the gas, the handle would come out even further enabling a =
near perfect cold start.

Robert Allen
83 GTV-6
72 Spider