Re: thermostat

Not to add too much to the discussion of thermostats, it is important to
remember that our gauges measure coolant temperature, not engine block or
radiator temperature.

If you pull the thermostat out, for example, you will get a lower
temperature reading on your gauge due to the higher flow of coolant leading
to less amount of heat exchange between the hot engine block and the
coolant.  In effect, it *is* dangerous to do this because the gauge can no
longer be trusted as a real indicator to the relative temperature of the
engine.

Of course, why the water pump would not offset this I don't know.

Nizam