164 overheating

> Ok, just wanted to update everyone. The 91 164L has new radiator, 8
> month water pump, new temp sensor, belts that show no slippage, and a
> removed thermostat. The car runs hotter than before w/old radiator.
> Used to run 175. Now goes up to dash just left of 250 in city traffic.
> Is the dash before 250 231 degrees. Also checked the temp with an
> extra instrument cluster and gauge indicates the same. Is it possible
> that the thermostat missing is doing what Fred stated? Antifreeze
> moving too fast to cool? Now a friend's 164L with a thermostat is also
> reading the same temp. How is this? I was told by Paul Spruel Alfa to
> not worry till gauge is almost upon 250 and red light comes on! It's
> supposed to be normal to stay on the dash before 250 and not go
> beyond. Now is that the general consensus?
>
> Danny
> 1991 164L
> Dallas, Texas
>

> --
Danny,
	I live in Florida. It gets hot and humid here.
I never have cooling problems with my 164, and that includes 80 miles to
Key West in start stop traffic.

	Put a thermostat in like it's supposed to have, and bleed the air out
of the system. It should run in the normal range, 175 to the next marks
up. If yours DOESN't do this, then diagnose before throwing in more
parts. Get a compression test if you see bubbles in your expansion tank.
Maybe you have a head gasket going out.
	Have you checked to see that the fan is coming on when it should? Check
the 40 amp fuse behind the brake fluid res.

	On this crazy thermostat thread, the guys who designed the engine
installed a thermostat. Why challenge an engineer who designed it? Buy a
thermostat for $28 and put it in. That eliminates the problem at that
point.
	Alfas typically are not problematic in hi heat. Something is wrong with
yours.

Bill Harkell
Tampa Florida
'91 Alfa 168 B