Re: Bill's Crazy Alfa Trip Idea

John Hertzman wrote:

<snip>

> Bill is evidently too young to remember the One Lap of America
> race (oops, rally) which was an offshoot of the Cannonball
> Baker Sea to Shining Sea - ah- rally which had been initiated,
> I believe, by some of the staff of Car and Driver magazine
> without any technical/legal liability of the publisher. I have
> no records, only fallible memory, but one of the last heads of
> ARDONA ran the O.L. of A. in his "private" Milano, blowing much
> of his salary (expense account?) on jumped bonds and losing
> cognito driving rights in too many places to record, but said
> he had much fun and we should do it again. That is the legend,
> anyhow; do any middle-aged geezers remember the details?

John, you are once again correct, except it was Giuseppe Greco,
the last President of *ARI*, not ARDONA!! Check Quadrifoglio
v5/No.1. He talks about the Cannonball One Lap in his
"President's Message."

I have fond memories of Giuseppe, because he was the key note
speaker at the `88 AROC Convention held in Detroit, MI. This was
shortly after his Cannonball adventure.

Somewhere, in that huge box of video tapes buried in the closet I
have a tape of the ESPN (?) report on that year's Run with
numerous shots and references to Giuseppe's activities in the
Milano.

Bernardo "not all that old, but a middle-aged geezer" Zelazninni
Global position of Alpine, TX (2:30 load @ 28.8):
http://www.brooksdata.net/personal/thc-aroc-usa/alpine_zoom.htm

Divided by Zero Productions web sites:

Texas Hill Country Alfa Romeo Owners Club-USA
	http://www.brooksdata.net/personal/thc-aroc-usa
Alfa Romeo Owners Club - USA
        http://www.aroc-usa.org
Alpine Chamber of Commerce
        http://www.alpinetexas.com
Big Bend Astronomical Society
	http://www.brooksdata.net/personal/bbastro
Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering (currently messed up by the
server!)
	http://www.cowboypoetry.org
Big Bend Archeology Society
        http://www.brooksdata.net/personal/bbarch