Thermostats

Everyone seems to be speaking in absolutes here.

This is just an observation here - I am not claiming
any expertise.  Some contributors to this subject have
claimed expertise, but to my mind you need a track
record to make such a claim.  Fred is the only name
I have seen with such a record.

So here goes my guess.  This seems to be contingent
on speed and volume.  I would think a thermostat would
regulate both.  As Fred pointed out, speed is the
reason for overheating.  Perhaps the volume of water
counteracts the speed.  Conversely, what if the speed
were regulated by things like crud in the hoses or
water jacket, perhaps the water pump is old and doesnt
pump what it once did.  Would this coupled with extra
volume cause the temperature to drop during running.

How about RPM.  If the car is being driven hard with
high RPM, the wouldnt the extra pump speed push the
water through the radiator too fast as Fred suggests
causing to overheat?  Would the high RPM cause the
water to be hotter coming out of the head to begin
with?  How about the opposite of that situation, would
puttering around town at low RPM and low pumping
volume cause the water to travel through the radiator
at the correct speed or slower causing lower temperature.

One other observation about thermostats.  Aren't they
supposed to keep the head temperature consistent. I
thought heat cycling aluminum caused it to warp.  Also,
dont most EFI systems require constant operating head
temperature to function properly.

As I said, I'm not claiming to be an expert.  I'm just
pointing out what occurs to me.

Peter