Re: Milano side mirrors

Jason Ritchie writes:
> Could someone help me with the procedure for disassembling the side
> mirrors on my milano verde.  I have one mirror thats likes to shake and
> I'd like to try to fix.  While I am on the topic, are these mirrors
> heated?  I've seen literature that says they are.  Do they work
> automatically, or does the rear window defroster have to be on?  As
> always, any help is greatly appreciated.

  If the outside plastic shell is firmly affixed to the door, then all you
have to do is remove the mirror from the housing. The mirror is attached
with a bayonet ring which has a small notch and a flat behind the bottom
edge of the mirror. Tilt your mirrors sky-ward and you will be able to see
the notch.
  Put a thin screwdriver balde against the notch and push to the right (if
I recall correctly), and the ring will rotate approximately 1/8 turn. When
the flat aligns with the bottom edge of the mirror, you can pop the mirror
right out. When pushing against the flat, try to hold the mirror steady so
you don't grind the mirror motor gears.
  Once the mirror is off, all the mounting screws are accessible, and you
may find a loose one. Pay attention to the orientation of the mirror,
because they are *not* right-left symmetric.

  If the outside plastic shell is wobbly, tighten the mounting bolts
located behind the plastic triangle inside the door.

  Some mirror have heaters. The ones on my 88 Verde do not.

Craig Lawson
claw@domain.elided