spider suspension: almost afraid to ask!

     Let me preface my questions with this statement:

     In the last year and half that I've been "hangin' out" on the digest,
     I've seen this post come around a few time (each time thinking, O.K.,
     finally I will get some much wanted answers, only to be disappointed
     as the thread quickly drifted away from the original question(s) and
     onto a STOCK vs. MODIFIED "argument".

     So .... (fire suit on) .... Here I go ....

     I'm interested in hearing from those who have done suspension work on
     115 spiders (notice, I didn't say "modification" :-) )

     Please tell me what you did, what parts you used (ie. who's springs,
     which shocks, etc.) and how you perceived the end result affected the
     handling/ride of the vehicle.

     Before the discussion starts to drift, I understand that there a "NO
     FREE LUNCHES" and that sometime "modifications" by themselves (or in
     certain combinations) can have a negative result.

     But still, I most start my search for knowledge somewhere and it seems
     very little is documented on this subject. One would think that
     certain "set ups" would have longed been worked out so that if one did
     x, y, and z they could expect a certain result. I can't put my finger
     on why these cars have been around for almost 30 years and still
     suspension setups are "black magic".

     ... I guess I'm willing to do some work here. If those "in-the-know"
     are willing to "edubicate" me. I will document some sort of
     "suspension matrix" in HTML and maybe we could add it to the Spider
     FAQ ????

     If you fear "flames" from either side of this touchy subject, e-mail
     me personally

     Tim Lentz
     Tampa, FL
     '74 spider (under construction)