Re: GTV6 x-meter needles

Carlo Mastrogiacomo is rumored to have written:
>sometimes the needle in the gauge gets
>bent inward, enough to touch the gauge itself and lock.
>Nothing wrong with sending unit or electronic parts, just
>the gauge needle in need of some TLC!

This happened to my GTV 6 as well. When I first got the car, the speedo and
tach needles were bent down to a degree that was beyond my tolerance, so I
removed said instruments, and disassembled them to get at the needles, to
see if I could repair them. Of course, I immediately snapped the speedo
needle in two neat little parts. Using a Zippo and a small needlenose plier,
I heated the needle (at a non-marring distance from the Zippo) and *slowly*
bent it straight again. Afterwards, I cut some extra small wire into c. 1/2
inch lengths, and superglued them into the channel on the back of the
needle, to act as reinforcement for the glue, to keep the needle from
snapping again. I then applied several fresh coats of Testor's white model
paint, and voila! Two new(ish) needles! The clock is next on my hit
list...Idunno, I'm just a little weary of screwing with anything that has
"BORG" inscribed on it...

Cheers all,

Darren
85 GTV 6 Gran Turismo