Alfa as tow car

A recent post to the Digest inquired about using a turbocharged Alfetta GTV
to tow a fully-enclosed trailer containing a Formula Vee car.  I responded
off-digest with strong words of discouragement and suggested that the
poster instead buy a cheap used vehicle with a frame, V8 and automatic
tranny.  I was concerned that the rear structure of the Alfetta coupe would
not be able to handle the weight of the trailer, that an appropriate hitch
would be hard to buy or make, that the rear springs would be too soft, and
that the engine (even with turbo) and drivetrain wouldn't be able to put
enough torque on the ground to move the trailer from a dead stop.

While these are legitimate concerns, I do know of people who have towed
lightweight caravans with various Alfa sedans, if not with Alfetta coupes.
I would be interested if anyone who has done this would care to comment on
their experience.  I'm especially curious about much this kind of trailer
weighs, what kind of modifications, if any, were made to the car, and
whether there were any advserse consequences from towing.

Dana Loomis