re: 165R14 tires on lowered GTV

Ken Lara wrote:
>I'm interested in putting on 165R14 size tires on my 74 GTV.  I
>currently use BWA alloys (14 x 6) and have Ward & Dean springs which
>lowers the car a little bit.  Has anyone have any experience with this
>setup or similar setup because I'm concerned about tire clearance.

Clearance should not be a problem, because 165R14s are the same height as
the 185/70-14s you're using now.  You might want to go back to 5.5 in
wheels, though.  A set of Cromodora "turbinas" would be a good choice, and
would not cost much.

>Also, the tires I'm looking to get are called Freidastar(?) Sprints,
>Dutch made and S-rated.  Anyone heard of them?

It's Vredestein, an old Dutch company that is a big supplier of bicycle
tires.  I'm not familiar with their "Sprint" tire, but it's probably decent
S-rated rubber.  There aren't a lot of tires to choose from in this size,
so you'll have to take what you can find--and afford.

>[I] would like to return to original tire size and vintage handling,
>even if it means less grip.

Not a bad idea, in my opinion.  But, to have the real vintange experience,
you should also go back to stock springs and 5.5 in wheels.

Dana Loomis
72 2000 GTV