Pilot bushing removal

Dear Alfisti,

I helped a friend remove the pilot bushing (tranny to engine
bushing set in the crankshaft) from his '69 Spider last week
using a technique that is perhaps not well known and IMO pretty
neat. I learned the method many years ago from local Alfa mechanic
Carter Hendricks. It's worked on two out of three cars, but
is so easy and elegant, it's always worth a try.

Here it is:

1) Find a socket that has a slightly smaller diameter than the
opening in the bushing.

2) Put an extension on the socket and fill it with grease.

3) Fill the bushing with grease.

4) Insert the socket into the bushing opening and strike the
end of the extension with a hammer.

If the fit is good enough, the hydraulic pressure exerted
by the socket will force out the bushing. Also, it may help
to wrap the socket in plastic wrap to get a better fit.
(Don't get any grease on the flywheel or clutch parts!)

Rich
'87 Milano
'78 Spider
'67 Duetto