RE: Pulling the steering column out

> I need to remove the steering assembly from a 71 spider. Steering wheel,
> column the works.  Has anybody done this?  There is nothing in
> the way now to
> prevent the work.  I would like to keep the column and the steering box
> together as a unit for ease of reassembly.  Thanks, Norm.

i did this recently on a '76.  first one I've tried in a while with the
engine still in the car.  had to remove the steering wheel and ignition on
the inside of the car (and unbolt the column), and ended up having to remove
the headers and starter before i could get it to clear everything.  i
possibly could have gotten away with removing less, but since everything was
coming apart anyhow, if it started to get in the way i just removed it.
ymmv.

the special alfa tool for pulling separating the box from the linkage is
real nice..

good luck,

bs