Re: Pulling the steering column out

>I need to remove the steering assembly from a 71 spider. Steering wheel,
>column the works.  Has anybody done this?  There is nothing in the way now to
>prevent the work.  I would like to keep the column and the steering box
>together as a unit for ease of reassembly.  Thanks, Norm.

Norm,

I replaced the steering box lately to my 1750 GT Veloce (Series II, 1971).
Luckily I had engine out for other reasons, so I had all the room that
could be needed.

Years model 1971 had solid (not collapsible type) steering column and it
does not have any joints, so the box and the column can't be taken out
separately. You have to pull them out together into the engine bay. I am
not quite sure if it is possible to do without taking the engine out, but
at least remove exhaust manifold, alternator, coolant expansion tank and
the battery and try then. Let's hope this gives you enough room, otherwise
you have to take out the engine.

Antti S.