Re: Fiats and bad maintenance

John, you unlucky bastard! I had 3 FIAT 850's (all sport coupes) which
showed very little rust in the years I owned them (in California). They got
no special treatment. The only time they were in a garage was when they had
a mechanical misfortune... The 3 128's I had were similar. Small amounts of
rust around the rear windws on two of them (ala GTV's and alfettas). I do
know that 850 spiders were recalled due to excessive rust in rear
suspension mounts. Perhaps the 850 spiders were built to a poorer standard
(such a shame if so). Was your 850 a spider? Why did you keep buying rust
buckets? Merican cars seem to have gotten pretty serious about corrosion
resistance in the last decade or so. Perhaps your CJ benefited from  that...

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto
72 GTV (it's alive!)