Re: 164 repairs

I can only answer a few---

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Bill  wrote:

> I need to prepare to do the following jobs on my "168".
>
> Any tips or advice would be appreciated...
>
> -clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing.
> -rear main seal, since I'm in there.
> -LF drive axle inspection for overtightness, cause for vibration?
> -LF ball joint, will be third going in, now at 75K.

an air hammer/pickle fork makes removal easy.

> -Rack boots, both sides.

not at all hard to do--car on jacks, wheel well plastic out (that's the
worst part)

> -strut center bearings....I heard the clunk, heard worse though.

SUPER easy--on jacks, wheels off, four bolts holding strut to wheel off,
top nuts off, and out she is--you need a spring compressor--the type with
small u-bolts on a long bolt and nut are safe and only cost about $15.00
get new spring pans while you're at it--strut boots also. Make sure you
retorque to spec.

- -sway bar links, toasted at Sebring...
Addco Urethane going in. > -possible lower A-arms, for bushings.

Sounds easy--haven't done it--where do you get the urethane bushings?

> How do you determine if motor mounts are weak in a 164?

the one that usually goes first is the one at the top/side(passenger) of
the engine. It should be centered--if off to one side ( mine IS) it's had
it--not very easy to replace.

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******