164 water pump

Alfisti,
I'm seeking confirmation on what I suspect to be a failing water pump.

I have '91 164L with 114k miles and upon searching through all repair
records it appears the water pump has never been replaced.

The past 1000 miles or so, the sound of an "electric motor" that rises
and falls with the RPM's is heard.  Loudest on passenger side of engine
compartment.  With long metal rod to ear and water pump is much louder
still.  I replaced water pump belt idle pulley and while belt off
rotated the water pump and felt "chunk, chunk, chunk"  and not smooth.
There appears to be no seepage at all.  All belts and tensioners new 10K
ago, as well as auto trans fluid.  Would all the above be indications
the pump bearings are being pulverized and failing?

Also, if I replace the water pump, is it necessary to remove the oil
pump pulley to get at bolts behind it?  Manual says to remove pulley,
but we all know what a hassel that would be (is it?).  I have factory
tools to remove, but can't remember if I see clearance to get tool in
there, pulley off.  Guideance please?  Any other water pump installation
tips greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks - Karl Maxon