Re: 164 Water Pump

     The r/r of the 164 is a pretty straightforward job. While you have the
     front of the engine apart, replace the cooling system hoses, gaskets
     at the thermostat (I think that there are 3), cooling system hoses
     behind the thermostat, serpentine belt and timing belt. The alternator
     will have to be loosened and swung out of the way to get the pump off.
     When you replace the coolant, be certain to bleed the air out via the
     bolt on the top of the thermostat housing.

     The most challenging part is getting the #$%^ timing belt covers off.

     The most technical part of the job is getting the new timing belt back
     on correctly - if you are not certain how to do this then get someone
     who is or if you are knowledgeable be certain to refer to the shop
     manual, it is very easy to get confused about the timing marks and
     mistakes are disastrous. There are several on the flywheel and the
     shop manual indicates the correct one. I lucked out since my marks
     were verified by paint dots on the cam gears. One more caution, never
     turn the engine backwards!!!

     Hope this helps,
     Sid

     '91 164L