Re: Needing advice on replacing 115 front cover gaskets

I have been following this discussion and am confused about 2 things - the
stud in question and the method for fixing it. Someone else could enlighten
me, but it appears that a loose front cover stud shouldn't cause a coolant
leak. Surely those outer studs don't penetrate the block into the water
jacket, do they? Never had one of those out so don't know. If its one of
the studs holding the water pump on then ... but  .. life is never that
simple.... I"m going to grab an engine tomorrow (Saturday here) and a bare
block and check this out.

The fix: I would just pull the stud and replace it. Drill it, extract it
whatever - should be possible once the radiator is out. No way should the
head be lifted partially then replaced. In my opinion the only way of
getting that front cover off and back on properly is to remove the head,
remove the oil pan, and put everything back together with new gaskets and
seal, then spin around on the spot 3 times and say why didn't I just pull
the motor out? ! !

Les Singh on a beautiful sunny warm Friday in Wellington, New Zealand

Research School of Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, New Zealand