RE: spider starter

Hi Doug

	>My 84 spider starter goes click, draws current, and does not
turn the
> engine at all.  Is this most likely the starter?

I've been caught out with a dead starter twice now. The first time was
just after I bought the Spider. A disconnected warning light (at the
regulator) meant I missed a dying alternator. SPICA'd Spiders need heaps
of electrical juice at start-up. The car would usually start from cold
but once warm, I got the same result as you. The cure was a new
alternator but the lesson was to test your charging circuits and battery
condition.

Another early lesson I leaned from the AD was the less that subtle
technique of rapping a large screwdriver against the starter solenoid
housing to loosen it up. Worked brilliantly (car wouldn't turn over
after laying idle for two months). This definitely confirmed the need to
recondition the unit!

Cheers

Andrew A

PS - Hi to all Digesti. I've been in Europe for two months, so I logged
off (tried to say "bye" but Majordomo bumped all my messages!) When I
came back I spent the next month working through a mass of AD
back-issues to placate my IS Manager. I got all caught up in the drama
of Scott Johnson's December 97 water pump adventure. Great story, shit
thing to happen Scott!