Re: smell of gas

>>Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:36:56 -0800 (PST)

>From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>

>Subject: smell of gas

>...'78 Spider, there is an intermittent smell of gasoline in the cockpit.

>It comes and goes, sometimes it's quite strong and other times it's simply

>not there at all. I've checked all the fuel system connections, replaced all

>the rubber fuel lines, checked all the solid hoses ... no leaks or seepage.

>The injection pump has been checked thoroughly as well as the fuel pump(s)
and

>fuel tank connections. The breather hoses, evap canister, all check valves

>etc have been checked as well. No problems seem evident...

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks!

You make mention of having checked the evaporator can, is this the original 20
year old can? They do degrade internally to the point where they can't absorb
anymore stinkeroo (I may have just exposed my lack of hard science knowledge).
This may or may not be apparent from a visual inspection.
My old Pcar has this same problem but only when the tank has just been filled.
Be glad your Spider is an open car.
JimboMGA@aol.com
1984 GTV6 (graunch)
1969 912 (44/56) Tylenol in the glove box