Re: homemade spring compressors

Hi all-
Ralph Fetsch described a simple, homemade spring compressor made from
all-thread which works for loosening the front spring pans on most older
alfas (maybe newer ones too). I used this same approach successfully as
well.  However, I would caution you to be extremely careful about what
grade of all-thread you use! I used standard hardware-store all-thread and
after R&R on my springs, I noticed that the all-thread had stretched!
Others have noted the dire consequences which might occur should the
compressor fail. I think I might have used up one of my nine lives when I
did this! The approach is obviously quite safe IF you use the proper grade
of all-thread (or long, fully threaded bolts).

Take care-
Mike Grace
Santa Barbara
'74 GTV (10 year restoration very nearly complete!)