[alfa] Re: GTV belts

In a message dated 12/9/04 7:48:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Spiro,
>  I bought 3-point retractable seatbelts for my 73 gtv
> from highwood a year or so ago.  They definitely feel
> a lot safer than the original lap belts and are far
> more convenient for every day driving than the 6 point
> harness I have installed for the occasional track
> outings.
>
> The only problem I have is that because of the
> geometry of the attachment points, the reel tends to
> tilt forwards and sometimes the belt locks (on the
> passenger side more often) and cannot extend until I
> fiddle with it or twist the reel back to vertical.
> What concerns me is that the reel mechanisms are not
> symmetric (one side has a clear cover and the other a
> black cover).  However, as the belt assemblies for
> both driver and passenger are identical, when mounted
> in the car, on one side the plastic cover ends up
> facing forward and on the other it faces backwards.  I
> asked Chris from Highwood (who has always been very
> helpful) and he assured me that the belt manufacturer
> supplies only one belt assembly so it should work on
> both sides.  I'm not sure how to get around the
> overeager locking mechanism.  For now it's just an
> annoyance, but I hope it will work properly when it
> needs to.

I put the same belts in my Berlina, and Chris at Highwood assured me that the
"unit" has to be 100% vertical! The "ergonomic" (for the belt mechanism) is
"in line" with the direction of pull. That won't cut it. The mech has to be
vertical in relation to terra firma.
Stevan Thomas
73 Berlina hot rod