Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:15:04 -0800
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV seat belts - long

Since only soft tops cars seem to come to my place, I am unfamiliar with
the belt mounting "system" on the GTV's.

IF, it is anything like the one on an Alfetta, the reel would be
securely mounted to the base of the B-pillars pointing upward with the
belt going through a securely mounted (to the upper B-pillar), yet
movable side-to-side rounded rectangular hanger, then proceeds down to
(again a movable side-to-side) mounting point on the interior side of
the rocker panel structure which is located near the rear, lower portion
of the seat itself. There is an adjustable plastic piece which holds the
male latch at a (hopefully) convenient height. Once seated the driver
(in this case) reaches over his / her left shoulder, grabs the latch and
inserts it in the stalk mounted on the interior side of the driveshaft
tunnel.

Meaning, it is the normal arrangement for most any tin top vehicle.

Pray tell, how does one get seatbelts with the "impossible to install
after the fact" movable side-to-side rounded rectangular hanger?

I surmise the GTV's mounting system is not like this and those buying
the Securon 514/15 or 514/30 mount the reel in the lower rear and need
to reach way, way back to get the male latch. Hey, much, much better
than seat belts only.

Bruce Giller's description in the form of a question is as follows:
"Does your '73 have those three-part front seat belts where you need to
link the shoulder strap to the lap belt before buckling everything
together?? And the lap belt has a retractor but the shoulder belt does not?"

I'm guessing the seat belt retractors are merely winders to keep the
belt out of the way when not in use. If correct, not everyone realizes
these retractors are strictly just that and the only way the belt is
functional is when the belt is pulled until the retractor is no longer
retracting. Meaning, the belt (and the shoulder portion) must be
readjusted any time a different driver / passenger is sitting in the
seat - unless they happen to have identical body structures.

I sell the Securon 514/15 diagonal seatbelt on my website. I am about to
horrify Chris at Highwood since this is what he sells, but they are not
DOT certified. However, they of course have been certified. One needs to
realize when they are installing aftermarket seat belts in their 30 +
year old car, they're pretty much on their own. I personally would have
no worry whatsoever installing Any new diagonal seat belt made in either
the US or Europe. Yet, if one is attaching the reel, for instance, to a
very rusty piece of metal, something has to give should you be in an
accident.

Enclosed is a recent answer from Securon regarding making the flexible
30 mm stalk 10 cm shorter plus giving the reel's spring one more turn:
"Dear Sir, We do not offer cable (flexible) stalks less than 30cms long
due to the significant increase in potential for cable flexing fatigue.
Also, to make changes to the stalk or retraction spring would
necessitate an approval extension. Test and certification costs would
make this exercise uneconomical for low volume. Sorry we cannot help
further and thanks for your complimentary remarks. Regards, Richard
Wills, Technical Sales"

Wish I could include more positive feedback, but whatever one does is
most likely going to be a compromise. If I had a GTV I'd probably either
source Alfetta - no wait - GTV6 diagonal seat belts or new Securon
514/15's, and if the former, have them rebuilt, and install sturdy
mounting points on the B-pillar and feel much more secure.

Vangelis Kokkevis: Get out a quarter and adjust your Securon belt reel
slightly first one way, if worse, then the other way. You should be able
to make them quite easy to pull out. Also tell your passenger not to
jerk them. They're designed to sense a jerk as a possible accident
coming up - imminently.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA