Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:27:57 -0500
From: Gilbert Gagne <gil5941@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Front Pulley Failure

The front pulley on my 1985 2L Spider just broke and I had to tow it
home, again. I removed the large nut and saw the rest of the pulley
inside the front cover just out of reach. The front crankshaft seal was
shredded too and will have to be replaced.

My questions are: Does the front cover have to be removed  to replace
the seal? and if it does, does the cylinder head  and/or the oil pan
have to be removed before removing the front cover? I was hoping not to
have to pull the engine.

I have a spare engine and removed the crank pulley only to find that it
has a longitudinal crack at the keyway. Now I have to find a front
pulley, too.