[alfa] Front Pulley Failure

The front pulley on my 1985 2L Spider just broke and I had to tow it home, again. I removed the large nut and saw the rest of the pulley inside the front cover just out of reach. The front crankshaft seal was schredded too and will have to be replaced.

My questions are: Does the front cover have to be removed to replace the seal? and if it does, does the cylinder head and/or the oil pan have to be removed before removing the front cover? I was hoping not to have to pull the engine.

I have a spare engine and removed the crank pulley only to find that it has a longitudinal crack at the keyway. Now I have to find a front pulley, too.