[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #429 - Front Pulley Failure

In a message dated 11/19/2004 2:57:32 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:27:57 -0500
From: Gilbert Gagne <gil5941@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Front Pulley Failure

The front pulley on my 1985 2L Spider just broke and I had to tow it
home, again. I removed the large nut and saw the rest of the pulley
inside the front cover just out of reach. The front crankshaft seal was
schredded too and will have to be replaced.

My questions are: Does the front cover have to be removed  to replace
the seal? and if it does, does the cylinder head  and/or the oil pan
have to be removed before removing the front cover? I was hoping not to
have to pull the engine.

I have a spare engine and removed the crank pulley only to find that it
has a longitudinal crack at the keyway. Now I have to find a front
pulley, too.

    You should be able to replace the seal with the engine in the car.  You
may want to remove the radiator, cooling fan, etc. to gain access.  Hopefully,
the broken bit of the pulley can also be removed.  If it is stuck or broken
too short, you may have to pull the front cover.
    Removal of the front cover requires that both the oil pan and the
cylinder head be removed.  There is no way to slide the front cover in and out with
either the pan or the head in place.
    You can remove both the head and the pan with the short block still in
the car.  But if you are going that deeply into the engine, you just as well
pull the engine.  The pan is a real bitch to get on and off with the engine in
the car.
    And if you pull the engine, you just as well have the valves ground,
change the rings and bearings, renew the clutch disk, the throw out bearing and
the pilot bushing.  And since it is easier to pull the engine with the
transmission out, you should replace all the u joints and the Giubo and..
    Have I spent all your money yet?
    I probably have a crank pulley if you need one.  Is yours the double
pulley to run the air conditioner or a single pulley?

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City