[alfa] Alfa's Us return

When speaking to a pretty knowledgeable car guy yesterday he mentioned the EU's front end (of the vehicle) pedestrian safety regulations have been enacted into law. Of course I had to ask if when a pedestrian gets hit, are they then supposed to be able to jump up, brush themselves off, then walk away? I'm surmising there are going to be some pretty ugly front ends on European cars (and possibly ours if what George Graves tells us regarding safety standards between the various automotive producing countries comes to pass). Of course in the case of BMW's the ugly stick will not only have hit the trunk lid, but also the front.

It came up when I mentioned the new Alfas seem to be pretty bulbous looking and wondered if it was styling, or required to contain all the safety requirements. He said it was primarily the latter.

Possibly on a more positive note, should the various countries / unions agree, it would then be a great opportunity for a latter day Max Hoffman or a Kjell Qvale type to step forward. They'd also have to set up a reasonable parts supply line - though, only surmising here, Centerline, IAP, Alfa Parts, etc. might not mind expanding their parts inventory if there is enough demand, not to mention $'s.

I'm guessing the same would apply to the mechanics who currently work on Milano's, GTV6's, and especially 164's. True, if you're an early buyer, your mechanic might be learning on the (your) job. With the Internet in place, I'm guessing any problems / solutions would become fairly common knowledge in a pretty short time.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I love the exclusivity of Alfas and would actually hate to see it ever become a mainstream marque - along with "Mother" Alfa constantly saying (in essence), "If you don't eat all of your spinach I'll just quit feeding you."

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA