[alfa] Re: Re: Purchasing an Alfa or BMW in Europe

No, I don't for sure. But I SUSPECT it will apply. It likely has more
to do with the length of time one is abroad than it does the reason. If
one establishes residence overseas, and buys a car while there, you can
probably bring it back as personal property when you return. But you
can only do it once. It's your personal one-time exemption, and every
citizen is entitled to it, AFAIK. Better check with a US Consulate
while there. They should be able to tell you for sure.

  Isn't this big of our benevolent government? Potential foreign
terrorists can roam this nation unmolested, but you and I can't buy the
kinds of cars we want and bring them back without it being some special
circumstance or having the wrath of Customs come down on us. Shows
where the government's head is stuck (up Detroit's fundament, that's
where it's stuck).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Nov 12, 2004, at 10:19 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:50:00 -0700
> From: Mark Mathews <mark_mathews@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Re:  Purchasing an Alfa or BMW in Europe
>
> George Graves wrote:
>
>> But, Chip, you CAN buy a new Alfa and bring it back to the USA. If >
> you are an American citizen, living abroad, and you buy a car not >
> certified by the D.O.T. for sale in the USA, you may bring it home >
> with you ....
>
> George, do you know if that applies to Americans living in Europe
> while attending college?
>
> Mark Mathews
> Colorado Springs

George Graves