Re: [alfa] Re: Improving a GT Junior

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:45:33 -0500 Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:

> I haven't really followed this discussion, but I thought I'd mention
> that I've concluded both mathematically and empirically that drilled
> brake discs don't accomplish anything, unless your brakes are
> overkill and you want to save a few grams of unsprung and rotating
> mass.

i concur. there are some modest advantages to drilled rotors, but the
disadvantages far outweight the advantages, and there are other
ways to gain the advantages, such as slotted rotors or slots in the
pad friction material. the downsides are reduced heat sink capacity
in the rotor and risk of structural failure in vented rotors if they are
not drilled properly.

Puhn's _Brake Handbook_ goes into all this. i'm not sure it's available
anymore, unfortunately.

richard