[alfa] Re: Improving a GT Junior

I haven't really followed this discussion, but I thought I'd mention that I've concluded both mathematically and empirically that drilled brake discs don't accomplish anything, unless your brakes are overkill and you want to save a few grams of unsprung and rotating mass.

Joe

At 6:19 AM +0000 11/13/04, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:52:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik G Wood <genericwood@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Improving a GT Junior

I would agree with everything Jay said. First of all, you can generate nearly as much power from a 1750 as a 2000. Although in the vintage racing I do, they are in the same class. From a handling perspective, a good roll cage and a panhard bar are great investments. You can take a lot of weight off without aluminum skins. That is very expensive weight reduction. Finally, I don't think the drilled and slotted brake rotors are that important. I've run my GTV with stock brakes (required by SCCA) at tough tracks like Road America without any fade. Just make sure you have good fluid and race pads and they are fine.

Erik Wood